BEST LOCATIONS FOR SENIOR PORTRAITS IN SEATTLE
Are you about to be a senior? Congratulations! This is an exciting year and we believe it is important that you document it. We have been photographing seniors in the greater Seattle area for about ten years and want to share our favorite locations with you.
- Kerry Park – This is a great option for seniors who want a view of the city. The park is tucked away in a neighborhood on Queen Anne Hill. The view is amazing whether it’s a perfectly clear day or our standard overcast, gray skies.
- Volunteer Park – This park is in Capitol Hill! The park is beautiful and has a lot of opportunity for different kinds of portraits. There’s a conservatory, an arboretum, amphitheater, museum, a large pond, and an old water tower. These provide some spectacular backdrops for portraits.
- Old Rainier Brewery – This is a great location for the artsy senior who wants urban portraits. The architecture of this old building is amazing with lots of different staircases, old doorways, and ledges to shoot on. There’s different bright colors and great views of the city from the upper part. We loved the way these portraits turned out.
- Alki Beach – Seattle beaches are beautiful and we highly recommend Alki. The access to the water is easy and it’s a beautiful place to see the sunset, watch the ferry crossings and have a cityscape background.
- Olympic Sculpture Park – This is definitely a perfect urban portrait location. The modern art is amazing and there are incredible sculptures and features to incorporate into the shots. We specifically love taking close up shots by the multi-colored wall and wide shots with the view of the space needle. There are areas of the park that overlook city streets, railroad tracks, the Puget Sound and ferry crossings. This is also a perfect place to catch the sunset and “golden hour” light.
- Pike Place Market – This is so classic and a fun option! We have taken portraits in post alley, by the gum wall, with the Seattle pigs, with Pike Place flowers, inside the shops and even outside the Original Starbucks. It’s fun to turn a tourist spot into a portrait session. You can also easily walk over to the water and shoot portraits while the ferries pass by.
- Lincoln Park – This park is located in West Seattle and is so peaceful. There are trails in the woods that scream, “Pacific Northwest”, with all of the green color and overgrown trees. The lower areas of the park are rocky beach with a lot of driftwood. Sunsets can be fantastic here and it is a wonderful place for late in the day “golden hour” portriats.
- Pioneer Square – This is an excellent location for seniors who want a city feel to their portraits. The square provides some wonderful lighting and artistic background with the trees and historic buildings. The alley ways provide some fun spaces to shoot as well.
- Gas Works Park – This is the location for the senior who wants epic artistic shots. There is no view of Seattle like this one. Along with the view, there are the concrete arches which are excellent for artsy wide shots and the bright colored pipes which offer lots of creative and endless possibilities. Some of our most popular portraits have been created here.
Are you overwhelmed or unsure of what location might best for you? Do you have a location that is special to you not listed here? Give us a call or shoot us an email (info below) and we can brainstorm with you! We’d love to help you decide what location is just right for your portrait experience. Portrait sessions are a celebration of your life and who you are. Our purpose is to create a special experience to capture who you are and create heirloom art pieces that you and your family will enjoy for many years to come.
JEAN JOHNSON PRODUCTIONS
LIFESTYLE PHOTOGRAPHER | PERSONAL ARTIST | FAMILY HISTORIAN
Capturing life’s most treasured moments…
Connect with us: